Can I have an apartment over my garage?

Yes. The Town allows accessory dwelling units (ADUs) in most residential zoning districts. Size, location, occupancy, and other requirements may be found in Zoning Code Section 156.110 & 156.111.  If you need to verify that there are no restrictions on your property and if an ADU can be constructed on your property, you can contact the PLAN Department at 843-884-1229.  

Approval to construct an ADU is given by submitting a building permit application  to the Building Inspection Division. The application will be reviewed for zoning compliance and to ensure that it meets all building code requirements before a permit is issued.  If you have questions on the building permit application process, you can contact Building Inspections office at 843-884-5184.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit to remove a tree in my yard?
2. Do I need a permit to trim a tree?
3. Can I have an apartment over my garage?
4. How do I get a plat or map of my property?
5. Do I need a permit to replace or change sign faces?
6. Do I need a sign permit to move a sign from my old business location to a new location?