By Martine Wolfe-Miller, Mount Pleasant Communications Manager
MOUNT PLEASANT, SC (September 10,2018) – Following South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster’s conference today calling for a mandatory coastal evacuation and the reversal I-26 from Charleston to Columbia; Mount Pleasant Mayor Will Haynie called on all citizens to remain alert and be prepared to evacuate.
“Do not focus on the forecast track of this Category 4 hurricane but look at its cone of uncertainty. The impacts will extend across our state as Florence is expected to make landfall on the Carolinas Coast on Thursday. The most important thing you can do during a major hurricane event is to secure your property and follow evacuation instructions.”
The Mount Pleasant Police Department issued the following evacuation route and lane reversal information:
- Charleston County is Evacuation Zone C
- Evacuees leaving Mount Pleasant will take I-526 or US 17 south to I-26.
- Those leaving Sullivan's Island will use SC 703 to I-526 Business to access I-526, then I-26.
- Evacuees from the Isle of Palms will use the Isle of Palms connector (SC 517) to go to US 17, where the right lane will turn north on US 17, then proceed to SC 41, to SC 402, then to US 52 to SC 375, then to US 521, to SC 261 to US 378 to Columbia.
- Evacuees using the left lanes of the Isle of Palms connector will turn left to go to I-526 and then on to I-26.
- Evacuees on I-526 approaching I-26 from East Cooper will be directed to the normal lanes of I-26 if in the right lane of I-526. Those in the left lane of I-526 will be directed into the reversed lanes of I-26.
- At 8:00 a.m. on September 11, there will be no traffic allowed eastbound on I-26 from Columbia to I-526. This will allow roadways to prepare for the lane reversal. Lane reversal is scheduled to start at noon.
Closures and Cancellations
- All Town of Mount Pleasant administrative offices will be closed Tuesday, Sept. 11 through Friday, Sept. 14. View the Calendar at www.tompsc.com.
- The Municipal Court will not be in session Sept. 11-14. All court appearances will be rescheduled, and notifications will be mailed. Payments prior to court date may be made here: https://paycourt.tompsc.com/Dashboard/
- Trash and garbage pickup will be postponed on Wednesday, Sept. 12 and Thursday, Sept. 13. Check the Alert Center for updates at www.tompsc.com/alertcenter.aspx
- The Sept. 11 Town Council Meeting has been postponed. View the Calendar at www.tompsc.com
- The Sept. 11 Mount Pleasant Farmers Market is cancelled. View the calendar at www.tompsc.com
- All meetings scheduled between Sept. 11-14 have been postponed. View the Calendar at www.tompsc.com
- All Recreation activities are postponed. Stay tuned at www.rainedout.com
There will be a limit of 10 self-serve bags per household while supplies last. The self-serve stations are on a first come/first serve basis. The sandbags are free of charge and you may want to bring your shovel.
- Memorial Waterfront Park – 99 Harry Hallman Blvd.
- R.L. Jones Recreational Complex – 391 Egypt Rd.
- Park West Recreation Complex – 1251 Park West Blvd., overflow parking
For more information about Mount Pleasant’s emergency preparedness, follow us at: