MOUNT PLEASANT, SC (August 10, 2017) - On August 21, 2017, the nation will experience a total solar eclipse that is expected to draw a large crowd to the Charleston area. The Mount Pleasant Police Department wants everyone to be prepared for this once in a generation event!
Mount Pleasant Viewing Areas
- Patriots Point
- Palmetto Islands County Park
- Duffy Baseball Complex
- Joe Gawrych Baseball Complex/Sloan Park
- Park West Recreation Center
The pedestrian walkway on the Ravenel Bridge will be closed from noon until 4:00 p.m. and will not be available as a viewing site. All roadways will be open. Please do not stop your vehicle on any roadway or bridge during the eclipse to get a better vantage point. Vehicles stopped on the roadway will be towed.
- Town Hall will close at 11:00 a.m. on August 21, 2017.
- Garbage pickup will also be suspended on the 21st and will be treated like a holiday. Trash pickup for this week will be Tuesday through Friday.
- Cellular communication towers may become overloaded. There may be interruptions in service so have a plan to communicate with family and friends beforehand.
- Expect heavy traffic beginning the weekend before the eclipse.
- Have your cars filled with gas and have groceries stocked before the weekend. The influx of visitors may put a strain on supplies.
- Sunglasses will not protect your eyes! Use certified eclipse viewing glasses.