Resources for the Aging
South Carolina law provides tuition exemption for residents 60 and older to take classes at state colleges (nominal fees may apply). Seniors can generally take any class offered, but many colleges also have specialized senior learning programs. Check with the institution's admissions office for details.
SC Public 4-year Colleges & Universities Senior Programs
- The Citadel | Admissions
- College of Charleston | Admissions
– Center for Creative Retirement
– Senior Citizen Programs
- Francis Marion University | Admissions
- Medical University of South Carolina | Admissions
- South Carolina State University | Admissions
- University of South Carolina – Columbia (Main Campus) | Admissions
– Adult Student Services
SC Public 2-year Colleges and Universities
- Technical College of the Lowcountry | Admissions - click link, then scroll down to Senior Citizens
- Tri-County Technical College | Admissions
– Policies and Procedures - click link, then scroll down to Senior Citizen Tuition (Plan 60)
– Senior Citizen Tuition - scroll down to "Senior Citizen Tuition"
- Trident Technical College | Admissions
Health & Medical
Mount Pleasant Fire Department
Statewide EMS Services
- MUSC Meducare Medical Transport Service
- South Carolina College of Emergency Physicians - SCCEP
- South Carolina Emergency Medical Services - DHEC
- South Carolina EMS Association
- Trauma Association of South Carolina
SC Crisis Hotlines
- Palmetto Poison Center - 800-222-1222
- South Carolina 2-1-1 - directory of SC services ranging from common to crisis - United Way resource referral database
- South Carolina Suicide and Crisis Hotlines
SC State Government Resources
- South Carolina Department of Insurance
– Consumer complaint form
– Consumer services
– Postal, email addresses + telephone, fax numbers
- Flood insurance - Department of Natural Resources
- Insurance Reserve Fund - insurance for state and local governments
- Insurance adjusters - emergency licensing procedures
- Licensing and education requirements, forms - for insurance agencies, third-party administrators, agents, brokers, adjusters, appraisers, bail bondsmen and runners, and surety bondsmen
- Licensing requirements, forms - for insurance companies
- SC insurance laws - Title 38
- State employees insurance program
- Unemployment insurance - claimants
– SC Department of Employment and Workforce
- Workers' compensation insurance
– Workers' Compensation Commission
– Second Injury Fund
Assisted living and retirement communities in Mount Pleasant
- Franke at Seaside
- Mount Pleasant Manor
- Sandpiper Village
- Savannah Grace
- Sweetgrass Court
- Sweetgrass Village
- The Palms
- Atria Mount Pleasant
- Mount Pleasant Gardens
- South Bay at Mount Pleasant
East Cooper Community Outreach
ECCO is a nonprofit organization that provides comprehensive support services to local families living at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level.
Click here to access the website.
East Cooper Meals on WheelsThis non-profit agency serves nutritious meals to all home bound residents East of the Cooper, regardless of age or income. They operate without a waiting list and there is never a charge for meals. Click here to access the website.
Trident Area Agency on AgingProvides contracts for home delivered meals, home care services, group dining, transportation to programs, health promotion activities, and legal services. Click here to access the website.
Mount Pleasant Senior CenterThis center in Mount Pleasant welcomes adults age 50 and older to come for exercise, socializing and to broaden their horizons through a wide array of classes. Click here to access the website.
Mount Pleasant Recreation DepartmentThe Mount Pleasant Recreation Department offers exceptional, comprehensive yet sustainable and affordable recreation and leisure opportunities through a professional staff that is dedicated to providing the residents of the Town of Mount Pleasant with superior customer service, quality facilities and dynamic programming. Click here to access the website.
Mount Pleasant Special EventsThe Town of Mount Pleasant hosts annual events such as the Blessing of the Fleet, ArtFest, the Christmas Parade, the Holiday Farmers Market and the seasonal Mount Pleasant Farmers Market. Click here to access the website.
Charleston County Parks and RecreationThe Charleston County Park & Recreation Commission will improve the quality of life in Charleston County by offering a diverse system of park facilities, programs, and services. Click here for the website.
AARP - South Carolina ChapterClick here for the website.
Mount Pleasant Alzheimer Support
Click here for the website.
Lieutenant Governor's Office on AgingThis office will list available services on aging and disabilities and provide a guide to laws and programs affecting senior citizens. Click here for the website.
SC Access Disability and Aging Services Quick SearchThis excellent resource can help you find Mount Pleasant and Charleston County senior services. Use the "Choose Your County" menu to select Charleston. Click here to access the website.
Presented by the Town of Mount Pleasant Police Department, this program is offered to provide support and encouragement to all victims of crime.Click here for the website.
Town of Mount Pleasant Victim Services Unit
US Social Security Administration - local office locator
Click here for the website.
With offices in Charleston, this statewide nonprofit provides programs designed to help mature individuals enter the workforce. Click here to access the website.