License Requirements

License Requirements for Licensed Contractors

Contractor Licensure status is verified through the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation (LLR). Some types of businesses such as Electricians, Plumbers, General Contractors, Residential Builders, HVAC, and others will require proof of a current South Carolina Contractor’s License before a Permit can be issued. In addition, Residential Builders are required to hold a current bond on file with LLR. Failure to update your License and/or Bond will result in the delay of permit issuance and may interfere with current permitted jobs. 
For more information on Licensures, please click the following link to the Code of Laws of South Carolina 

**Any contractor doing work in the Town of Mount Pleasant must obtain a business license. For more information please contact the Business License Department directly at (843) 849-2786**

Non-Licensed Builder Requirements 

The following disclosure can be found in the Code of Laws of South Carolina Title 40 Chapter 59 Section 40-59-260 or by clicking this link

"State law requires residential construction to be done by licensed residential builders and specialty contractors. You have applied for a permit under an exemption to that law. The exemption allows you, as the owner of your property, to act as your own builder even though you do not have a license. You must supervise the construction yourself. You may build or improve a one-family or two-family residence. The building must be for your own use and occupancy. It may not be built for sale or rent. If you sell or rent a building you have built yourself within two years after the construction is complete, the law will presume that you built it for sale or rent, which is a violation of this exemption. You may not hire an unlicensed person as your residential builder or specialty contractor. It is your responsibility to make sure that people employed by you have licenses required by state law and by county or municipal licensing ordinances. Your construction must comply with all applicable laws, ordinances, building codes, and zoning regulations."

The following form, Non-Licensed Owner's Intent to Build" is required to be completed and Recorded with the Charleston County Register of Deeds Office (ROD Office). Please see section E of the aforementioned state law, "If a residential building or structure has been constructed by an owner under the exemption provided for in this section, the owner of the residential building or structure must promptly file as a matter of public record a notice with the register of deeds, indexed under the owner's name in the grantor's index, stating that the residential building or structure was constructed by the owner as an unlicensed builder. Failure to do so revokes the statutory exemption." 

Please call or email us with additional questions regarding state law and our requirements.

Contact us

​Building Inspections Division
​​100 Ann Edwards Lane
​​Mount Pleasant SC 29464
​​(843) 884-5184