Newsroom

Posted on: May 2, 2016

Mayor Page Proclaims Year of Celebration for Laing’s 150th Anniversary

2016LaingSesqui(2).jpg

By Martine Wolfe-Miller, Mount Pleasant Communications Officer

MOUNT PLEASANT, SC (May 27, 2016) – Laing Middle School Principal James Whitehair and the Mount Pleasant Historical Commission recently held a ceremony to commemorate the 150th anniversary of Laing Middle School at the newly opened Sweetgrass Campus. Mount Pleasant Mayor Linda Page proclaimed the year 2016, a year of commemoration and celebration of Laing’s sesquicentennial.

“As we celebrate our first year in the new building, it is only fitting to celebrate the people who have made Laing what it is today,” said Principal Whitehair addressing a dozen of Laing High School alumni in attendance at the ceremony. “Try to excel has been the longstanding motto of Laing and the message I would like to share with our students is ‘you have in you the power to excel’.”

Dorothy Fludd, a librarian and Laing alumna recalled her years as student and teacher at the school. “I was part of the second graduating class in 1954,” she said. “Laing has a great history among the community and the state. I invite residents to remember and share that history with the Mount Pleasant Historical Commission.”

“The role of Laing, founded at the end of the Civil War, came to calm chaos and incorporate the black community in the fabric of Mount Pleasant. I encourage members of the community to explore its rich heritage,” said Mount Pleasant Historical Commissioner Patrick Morrissey.

Also in attendance at the ceremony were Mount Pleasant Historical Commission Chair Rick Gutowski and Commissioner Heidi Schless. Principal Whitehair recognized Mrs. Fludd, Mrs. Charlotte Jenkins, Mrs. Pearl Ascue and Mr. Morrissey for their contributions to the sesquicentennial ceremonies.

The proclamation read as follows:

WHEREAS, in the aftermath of the Civil War, Cornelia Hancock, a Quaker and former Union Army nurse, with the financial backing of the Friends Association for the Aid and Elevation of the Freedmen of Philadelphia, determined to provide a school for children of African descent in Mount Pleasant. The school would later be named for Henry M. Laing, a Treasurer of the Friends Association.

WHEREAS, on January 29, 1866, in the then war-damaged Presbyterian Church on Hibben Street, the first class of 50 students assembled for an education focused on citizenship and occupational skills. Among the students were the families of soldiers within United States Colored Troop (U.S.C.T.) regiments stationed in Mt Pleasant.

WHEREAS, in 1868, Laing School moved from a home at 217 Bennett St. to a brick building constructed by the Freedman’s Bureau on land donated by the Town of Mount Pleasant at the corner of King and Royall Avenue. The school grew to an enrollment of 200 students and offered 7 years of instruction in academic courses and industrial arts.

WHEREAS, the earthquake of 1886 destroyed the school, but it was rebuilt and continued on the King and Royall site as Laing Industrial and Normal School under the administration of the Friends Association until 1894, then under the Pennsylvania Abolition Society as trustee until 1940, and was then deeded to Consolidated School District #5, Charleston County, with a stipulation that the property continue in use forever for the education of children of African descent. Laing was the first accredited black school in the state.

WHEREAS, Laing High School, fed by a new Laing Elementary built in the Greenwich neighborhood, expanded the curriculum to 12 years of instruction, before moving to Highway 17 North and 6 Mile Road in 1953, to a new building which served as the Laing High School campus until 1970, when it was closed with the desegregation of Charleston County Schools.

WHEREAS, the Laing High School campus served as the 8th grade campus for Wando in the early 70’s and then, in 1974, as Laing Middle School, which then moved to Mathis Ferry Road as Laing Middle School of Science and Technology in 2009, before moving to its current campus on Bulrush Basket Lane in 2015.

WHEREAS, from its founding in a war-damaged church in 1866, through segregation and desegregation, and under various names such as Laing School, the Negro School, the Industrial and Normal School, Laing High School and Laing Middle School, Laing schools and educators have made a profound and sustained contribution to the history and culture of Mount Pleasant, having produced graduates of ability, character and distinction for 150 years.

For more information about the Historical Commission, visit “Our History” online at www.tompsc.com or download our new Town App ConnectMP. To view the photos of the ceremony, like us on Facebook at “tompsc.” To read our historical updates, sign up for our historical Quick Fact Friday by emailing mwolfe@tompsc.com.

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Newsroom

01-road-work-barrels_287_280

US 17 Lane Closure Slated on July 11

Posted on: July 10, 2017
Apply_for_Funding

Apply for ATAC Funding Now

Posted on: July 7, 2017
Mount Pleasant Website

Mount Pleasant Unveils New Website

Posted on: June 30, 2017
SCP3 (287)

Shem Creek to Enhance Connectivity

Posted on: June 26, 2017
Hurricane_010101

Learn to Prepare for a Hurricane

Posted on: June 26, 2017
01-road-work-barrels_287_280

SC-41 at Joe Rouse Road Improvement

Posted on: June 16, 2017
01_art

AR Workshop Brings Out Inner Artist

Posted on: June 16, 2017
01-The Barre Code

Women-Focused The Barre Code Opens

Posted on: June 7, 2017
Hurricane_010101

How to Prepare for a Hurricane

Posted on: June 1, 2017
STEM

STEM-Focused Learning Center Opens

Posted on: May 26, 2017
00001BHM17 Flyer DRAFT 1.9.17-page-001.jpg

Black History Month Lineup Slated

Posted on: January 13, 2017
01HSCH.png

Remember the Holiday Sanitation Schedule

Posted on: December 28, 2016

Town to Experience King Tides Next Week

Posted on: December 9, 2016
Turkeyvideo.jpg

MPFD Presents Turkey Frying Safety Video

Posted on: November 30, 2016

Matthew storm debris pickup update #11

Posted on: November 1, 2016

Matthew storm debris pickup update #10

Posted on: November 1, 2016

Matthew storm debris pickup update #8

Posted on: November 1, 2016

Matthew storm debris pickup update #7

Posted on: October 31, 2016

Matthew storm debris pickup update #6

Posted on: October 26, 2016

Matthew storm debris pickup update #5

Posted on: October 26, 2016

Matthew storm debris pickup update #4

Posted on: October 26, 2016

Lowe's unveils new turnkey program

Posted on: October 25, 2016

Ravenel Bridge open for service

Posted on: October 8, 2016

BREAKING: Ravenel Bridge now closed

Posted on: October 8, 2016

Evacuation Twitter Poll

Posted on: October 8, 2016

UPDATE: Impassable Roads

Posted on: October 8, 2016
Curfew In Effect.png

UPDATE: Curfew In Effect

Posted on: October 7, 2016
Curfew.png

UPDATE: Curfew Reminder

Posted on: October 7, 2016

Hurricane watch issued to parts of SC

Posted on: October 5, 2016

Waste Management & Sandbags

Posted on: October 5, 2016
at201614_5day.gif

Hurricane Matthew Prompts Preparedness

Posted on: October 2, 2016
SCAPA Award Photo

Town wins SCAPA planning award

Posted on: September 30, 2016
Detour Graphic

Town releases traffic detour update

Posted on: September 30, 2016
160823-MRC-P-008.jpg

Town opens new fire station up north

Posted on: September 26, 2016
DETOUR.png

Town announces traffic detour

Posted on: September 28, 2016

Shem Creek Park: Phase II Recap Video

Posted on: September 23, 2016

Town updates trash collection schedule

Posted on: September 14, 2016
160908-MRC-P-076_2.jpg

Town welcomes new real estate neighbor

Posted on: September 9, 2016
TRASH_2.png

Town gives trash pick-up update

Posted on: September 7, 2016
Shem Phase III_3.png

Town to host Shem Creek phase III talks

Posted on: August 31, 2016
Forum-Logo-2.jpg

Take this Housing Task Force Survey!

Posted on: August 25, 2016
01HSCH.png

Labor Day Sanitation Schedule Announced

Posted on: August 15, 2016

Park West Roundabout is Open!

Posted on: August 12, 2016
160718-MRC-P-063.jpg

Barre South Opens on Coleman Blvd.

Posted on: July 25, 2016
flag day.jpg

Today is Flag Day!

Posted on: June 14, 2016
010101MPW.jpg

MPW Addresses Lead Sampling Report

Posted on: June 2, 2016
HH89.png

How to Prepare for a Hurricane

Posted on: May 27, 2016
0001MPW.png

MPW Shows Support for Bill 1157

Posted on: April 8, 2016
01FullSizeRender.jpg

All Aboard for Mobile Office Hours!

Posted on: March 16, 2016
Team First Twitter.jpg

MP Rec to Host Hamm, Lilly, Hoch

Posted on: March 21, 2016
CARTA3.jpg

Be a Trendsetter - Ride CARTA!

Posted on: March 1, 2016
01petfest.jpg

Pet Fest 2016 Set for March 19 & 20

Posted on: February 11, 2016
160127-MRC-P-011.jpg

Cotov Named Mount Pleasant CFO

Posted on: February 8, 2016
Laing(1).jpg

Laing Celebrates 150th Anniversary!

Posted on: January 27, 2016
IMG_3574_2500.jpg

Christmas with the Mount Pleasant Police

Posted on: December 15, 2015
beckham_web.jpg

Remembering Lucy Beckham

Posted on: December 15, 2015
0001DarbySanta.jpg

Santa Claus is coming to Town!

Posted on: December 14, 2015
Turkeyvideo.jpg

MPFD Presents Turkey Frying Safety Video

Posted on: November 23, 2015
0001T.jpg

Reading Patrol Celebrates Thanksgiving

Posted on: November 17, 2015
00001Halloween.jpg

MPPD Offers Halloween Safety Tips

Posted on: October 29, 2015
1492623687.jpg

Reading Patrol Celebrates Halloween

Posted on: October 16, 2015

ECCO Offers Flood Relief Assistance

Posted on: October 13, 2015

Request to Limit Wastewater Use Lifted

Posted on: October 7, 2015

Update #4 Mount Pleasant Road Closures

Posted on: October 4, 2015
Stay Safe today!

Mount Pleasant Road Closures

Posted on: October 3, 2015

Hamlin Road Lane Closure Slated Oct. 1-3

Posted on: September 30, 2015
MPBA Expo ad-2015-2.jpg

Expect Another Excellent Expo on Sept. 24

Posted on: September 18, 2015
cones_sm.jpg

Long Point Road Improvements Slated 9/17

Posted on: September 14, 2015
ZIPCode.jpg

Mount Pleasant Gains New ZIP Code

Posted on: September 14, 2015
BEFORE.581.Still003.jpg

Emergency Preparedness Series Launches

Posted on: August 19, 2015
000001_Logo_400.jpg

Where Can You Find Us?

Posted on: July 31, 2015
Hugo1.jpg

How to prepare for a hurricane

Posted on: May 29, 2015
HforHonor.png

Reading Patrol Honors Our Military

Posted on: May 14, 2015
SHEM DIG 2015.jpg

Don't Miss Shem Dig on May 16!

Posted on: May 6, 2015

Hamlin Road Closure Slated May 1-3

Posted on: April 17, 2015
Seuss.png

Reading Patrol Celebrates Dr. Seuss

Posted on: March 17, 2015
maps.jpg

Where Can You Find Us?

Posted on: February 27, 2015
maps.jpg

We Are Moving! Where Will You Find Us?

Posted on: February 19, 2015