Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
By Martine Wolfe-Miller, Communications Officer
MOUNT PLEASANT, SC (Dec. 4, 2015) – The Mount Pleasant Fire Department is urging residents and visitors to stay safe during the winter holidays with fireworks safety tips.
"Parades, cookouts and fireworks are hallmarks of the holiday season,” said Fire Chief Herb Williams. “But improper use of fireworks can turn a joyful celebration into a tragic one. Fireworks account for a large number of preventable fires and injuries and should be used with extreme caution. Older children should be closely supervised, and younger children should not be allowed to play with fireworks."
"The best way to enjoy fireworks is to visit public fireworks displays put on by trained professionals. The Town of Mount Pleasant is inviting residents and visitors to attend a tree lightning and fireworks display on Coleman Boulevard on Dec. 13 at 5:30 PM. The fireworks will be followed immediately by the 20th Annual Christmas Light Parade.
Thousands of serious fireworks-related incidents typically injure eyes, heads and hands each year in the United States. A great majority of these injuries are inflicted on children under 15. Firecrackers, sparklers and bottle rockets are the leading contributors to these injuries.
If you decide to set off fireworks this holiday, be sure to follow these important safety tips from the U.S. Fire Administration:
• Never allow children to play with or ignite fireworks. Sparklers considered by many the ideal "safe" firework for the young, burn at very low temperatures and can easily ignite clothing.
• Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
• Be sure other people are out of range before lighting fireworks. Never shoot a firework at or near another person.
• Only light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface away from the house, dry leaves, and flammable materials.
• Never try to relight fireworks that have not fully functioned. Douse and soak them with water and throw them away.
• Keep a bucket of water handy in case of a malfunction or fire.
• Never ignite fireworks in a container, especially a glass or metal container.
• Keep unused fireworks away from firing areas.
• Store fireworks in a dry, cool place. Check instructions for special storage directions.
• Observe local laws.
• Never have any portion of your body directly over a firework while lighting.
• Don’t experiment with homemade fireworks.
For more fire safety information visit us online at www.tompsc.com and view our videos in the Media Center. Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.