Create an Account - Increase your productivity, customize your experience, and engage in information you care about.
MOUNT PLEASANT, S.C. (June 20, 2015) - Town of Mount Pleasant officials met this afternoon with the Bridge to Peace event organizers and other area officials to coordinate resources. The Bridge to Peace event is set to take place Sunday, June 21 at 7:45 pm. "When something this horrendous happens this close to home, you are compelled to do something," said event coordinator Dorsey Fairbairn. "We are responding to this tragedy with love not hate. We are standing together unified in faith and prayer."
Mayor Linda Page said, "The Town is honored to be a partner in this meaningful event. I would like to thank Dorsey Fairbairn and her team for this vision and for their hard work in organizing this meaningful coming together of our community."
Law enforcement, emergency medical and public services personnel will have resourcesplaced in different locations for the duration of this event.
Participants are encouraged to meet on the Mount Pleasant side of the bridge and the event specifics are as follows:
• Parking will be available at the Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park. Overflow parking will be available at the Omar Shrine Temple and at Patriot's Point.
• CARTA will run an extended schedule for the normal route that ends at the Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park.
• Participants are asked to meet in front of the Cooper River Room on the Great Lawn at the Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park. Bathrooms will be available.
• Participants are asked to arrive by 7:30pm to hear opening remarks and event instructions. Police Chief Carl Ritchie will lead the march promptly at 7:45pm. Attendees will be aligned two by two for the walk up the Ravenel Bridge.
To keep everyone safe the Town of Mount Pleasant would like to remind everyone of these safety tips:
• Please bring water with you and stay hydrated.
• Participants are discouraged from bringing drones to this event. Town ordinance prohibits flying drones within the Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park.
• Do not press against the railing in the pedestrian lane on the Ravenel Bridge.
• Stay out of the bicycle lane on the pedestrian lane. The traffic lane closest to the pedestrian walkway will also be closed for emergency personnel and participants are asked to stay out of this lane.
• The Mount Pleasant Fire Department and a lost child tent will be set up near the Cooper River Room at the Mount Pleasant Memorial Waterfront Park.