The Town of Mount Pleasant Comprehensive Plan Update
What’s a Comprehensive Plan?
A Comprehensive Plan is a local government’s guide for decision making. It is created by studying the existing conditions of the Town, debating preferred future alternatives and priorities, and identifying practical implementation strategies to help the Town reach its preferred future goals. There are nine required “elements” that every Comprehensive Plan must address – population, housing, economic development, community facilities, natural resources, cultural resources, land use, transportation, and priority investments. Thus, the Comprehensive Plan touches land development decisions, capital projects, and many other governmental decisions that might impact the future health of the Town. In South Carolina, communities are required to prepare new Comprehensive Plans every 10 years. Considering the tremendous growth that the area has experienced over the past several years, Town Council decided to move the process up a year, to help town government identify and address its greatest needs.
What’s going on now
At the Planning Commission meeting on December 19, 2019, they set a schedule for the commissions initial workshops on the Comprehensive Plan. These dates are:
- January 9, 2019 – 11:00-1:00 pm – Planning Commission Comprehensive Plan Introduction
- Overview of the draft plan as recommended by the Plan Forum
January 16, 2019 – 11-1:00 pm –CANCELLED - Planning Commission Comprehensive Plan Introduction 2 – NOT NEEDED
- January 23, 2019 – 6:00 pm – Planning Commission “Town Hall” public input opportunity as part of regularly scheduled Planning Commission meeting (PLEASE NOTE - This item is anticipated to be taken up around 6:00 pm, due to other agenda items)
- January 30, 2019 – 11-1:00 pm – Planning Commission Comprehensive Plan Workshop 1
- Begin discussion of the draft Comprehensive Plan and input from 1/23/19.
- February 6, 2019 – 11-1:00 pm – Planning Commission Comprehensive Plan Workshop 2
- Continue discussion of the draft Comprehensive Plan and input from the public.
- February 13, 2019 – 11-1:00 pm –
TENTATIVE-CONFIRMED Planning Commission Comprehensive Plan Workshop 3
- Continue discussion of the draft Comprehensive Plan and input from the public
- February 20, 2019 – 5:00 pm – regularly scheduled Planning Commission meeting
- Continued discussion and/or potential recommendation to Town Council.
The Planning Commission will begin review of the Draft Comprehensive Plan, presented to them by the Plan Forum. The Planning Commission is the body that is tasked by State Law with creating the Comprehensive Plan, and the Plan Forum has been working under their authority over the past year. The Commission will review the Plan, potentially making modifications as they go through the document. They are planning to hold an additional "Town Hall" style meeting for public comment. This public comment opportunity will be held during the Commission's regularly scheduled January meeting on January 23, 2019. The Draft Plan can be found by clicking on the "1/2019 Planning Commission Workshops" tab in the blue column to the left of this page. Also available in the same section is a summary presentation on the Draft Comprehensive Plan.
(Updated January 30, 2019)
How you can participate
The best way to participate is to educate yourself about the issues, and to attend the upcoming Town Hall meeting to share your thoughts. Please take some time to familiarize yourself with the Draft Plan prior to this upcoming meeting. The Draft Plan and a summary presentation on the Plan can be found by clicking on the "1/2019 Planning Commission Workshops" tab in the blue column to the left of this page.
For more information about the Town of Mount Pleasant Planning and Development Department and the Town of Mount Pleasant 2018-2028 Comprehensive Plan, sign up on our Notify Me module and let us bring the information to you. Visit our website at www.tompsc.com and and click on the Notify Me button. Customize your experience and engage in information you care about.